Saturday 11 August 2012

Summer Bake

It's Saturday morning, I sitting at my desk with a list as long my arm. But I don't mind as I have had a very busy but productive week. There have been lots of play days with my 3 year old and the weather has been so kind this week, we have managed to get out every day and meet with friends to play outside and make the most of the holidays.

I have limited childcare in the holidays as I want don't want to miss out on this important part of our lives, the downside to this means I end up working every evening until my bedtime and of course Saturday mornings. But now that I'm in the full swing of things I am finding that actually it's working pretty well and my days feel completely fulfilled.

I had a lovely suprise yesterday when my good friend Quirky Boots  sent me a text message to say that my new carrier bag holders had been featured on the not on the high street.com facebook page they are still there and have 115 likes!! So if you have a spare minute please take a look.


As it's the weekend I thought I would share with you a recipe that I made this week, it's an old favourite, it uses up the glut of tomatoes and courgettes that are available at this time of year. Whether you have grown your own or are taking advantage of the in season offers at the supermarket this dish is perfect accompaniment to a summer bbq or as a main dish with some nice crusty bread.

I made it in a big dish that I bought from a recent vintage fair for £1.00!!! Bargainous!







Courgette and Tomato Layer Bake


What you need:

2 x large (or four small) courgettes sliced thinly
2 x large (or 1 beef) tomatoes sliced thinly
1 x onion chopped or sliced
1 x red pepper chopped or sliced

olive oil (drizzle)
oregano and basil
garlic (crushed)

50g parmesan or any strong cheese (grated)
handful bread crumbs (optional)
 
What to do:
1. Fry the onion and pepper in some olive oil for 5-10mins until softened, over a gentle heat. After about 8 minutes add the garlic.

2. Put the fried ingredients in the bottom of the dish and layer the courgette and tomato slices in a round, following the edge of the dish. I had so many for this dish that I did two layers, it wokred fine, just needed a little extra cooking time.

3. Drizzle with olive oil and scatter with oregano and fresh basil.

4. Bake in a medium oven for about 30mins, once it all looks cooked cover the top with the cheese and breadcrumbs and bake for another 5 mins.

5. Tuck in!!



No comments: